All the flavors of your favorite take-out egg roll, made keto. Take the pork, the veggies, and the delicious sauce. Leave the gluten and carbs. Bonus: this Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe is made in one pan and in less than 30 min. Total weeknight hero.
Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
This recipe is a winner in so many ways. Call it “crack slaw” or “eggroll in a bowl” — either way, you’ll love it.
It’s low carb, packed with veggies, easy to make for dinner, and so full of flavor.
Ingredients for Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
Here’s what you need for the recipe.
- Ground pork.
- Fresh garlic. Crush the cloves with the side of your knife, or easier still, use a microplane to grate them into a paste.
- Fresh ginger. Scrape the peel off with a knife or even the back of a spoon. You can mince it with a knife if you feel confident in your skills — but it’s just as easy to grate it with a microplane.
- Shredded cabbage or cabbage slaw mix. Crunchy and full of nutrients.
- Soy sauce, gluten-free tamari, or coconut aminos. Whatever works for you and your diet.
- Rice vinegar. Double-check the nutrition facts on this one. Make sure you’re not using “Seasoned” rice vinegar, which usually contains sugar.
- Other veggie options: Green onions, carrots, even broccoli.
- Sesame oil.
- Sriracha sauce, or your favorite hot sauce
How to make Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Gather your ingredients and let’s get started. Start off by browning ground pork in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and fresh ginger and cook until softened and translucent. Add soy sauce, sesame oil, sriracha, and rice vinegar to season. Taste, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Then, add the thinly sliced cabbage and carrots (if using). Add a bit of water or stock, and toss to coat. Let the cabbage cook for about 3-5 minutes — or until it’s as soft as you like.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, and dig in.
Common Substitutions for Egg Roll in a Bowl
Egg Roll in a Bowl is so easy to make, tastes delicious, and works for so many diets. Here are some common substitutions.
- Keto: Double check that your rice vinegar and hot sauce is unsweetened.
- Paleo: Use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
- Whole 30: Use coconut aminos and an approved sriracha sauce.
- Gluten Free: Substitute gluten-free tamari for the soy sauce.
Serve keto egg roll in a bowl with cauliflower rice, and you’ve got a whole meal.
Meal Prep Egg Roll in a Bowl
Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is a perfect for meal prep, too. This recipe makes 4 servings. If you need more, feel free to make a double batch. I love knowing I have leftovers waiting for me in the fridge.
Egg Roll in a Bowl reheats well — and even taste great cold. Make a double batch and take it to work or school for packed lunch.
Variations on Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Save time by swapping the shredded cabbage and carrots for already-prepared cabbage slaw mix from the grocery.
- Use broccoli slaw mix instead of the regular cabbage mix. We’ve made it both ways and loved it!
- Swap the ground pork sausage for ground beef or ground turkey. Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is a super versatile recipe, so fell free to make it your own.
- Try grilled shrimp! Grill or saute shrimp until pink and no longer translucent. Add the shrimp to the veggies at the end, after they have finished cooking.
- Add a creamy sauce. Put this recipe over the top by adding a creamy Sriracha mayo at the table!
Trust me, you’ll want to add this recipe to your weekly rotation. It’s:
- Easy to make
- and Perfect for Meal Prep
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #greenandketo on Instagram.