Low Carb Tortilla Chips
You’ve probably heard of fathead dough — but have you ever used it to make low carb tortilla chips? You’ll love these easy recipe for crispy keto tortilla chips made from low-carb ingredients like almond flour and shredded cheese.
Ingredients in Fathead Tortilla Chips
If you’ve been avoiding corn tortilla chips because you are on the keto diet, then this recipe is for you. These keto tortilla chips are made from common keto ingredients you probably have on hand. You can use these chips to scoop of guacamole, salsa, creamy onion dip — or my favorite — make keto nachos.
To make keto tortilla chips, you’ll need:
- Almond flour. Look for a super fine, blanched almond flour like Bob’s Red Mill.
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- cream cheese
- an egg, large
- spices, like cumin, chili powder, and cayenne. I like to spice these chips with a taco-seasoning-style blend of spices. You can adjust the spice level by increasing or decreasing the amount of cayenne pepper.
And then, you can add your favorite toppings to turn those keto chips into keto nachos.
To make keto nachos, try:
- Keto tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese. A blend with Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses works great.
- Seasoned ground beef, or leftover pork carnitas
- Sour cream
- Fresh or pickled jalapenos
- Fresh cilantro
Why is it called Fathead Dough?
In general, fathead dough is a low-carb dough that is made with mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, egg, and some type of flour (almond, coconut, or a combination.)
The name comes from the 2009 documentary, Fat Head, which was created by Tom Naughton. The documentary follows Naughton as he eats fast food for one month — but still manages to lose weight and reduce his cholesterol by restricting his carbs to 100 grams per day.
Naughton then popularized a recipe from Cooky’s Creations, called Holy Grail Pizza Crust. And since then, the low carb pizza crust recipe has been remixed into a bunch of amazing keto recipes.
Tips for Crispy Low Carb Chips
- Roll the dough as evenly as you can. Thicker spots won’t get as crispy, while thinner spots will scorch in the oven.
- Likewise, roll the dough as thin as you can. The thinner you can make the dough, the crispier your low carb tortilla chips will be.
- Use a superfine, blanched almond flour for the best texture.
- Bake the chips twice. First, bake the sheet of fathead dough to set the dough. Then, using a pizza cutter, slice the dough into triangles. Then, separate the triangles. Bake for a few more minutes to dry out the chips and make them even crispier.
- Store the tortilla chips in a sealed container at room temperature. Don’t store them in the refridgerator or the freezer, where they are likely to become soft.
- 1 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, add the mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave in short increments (30 secs) until the cheese is melted and easy to stir. Stir well to combine.
- To the same bowl, add the almond flour, salt, spices, and egg. Stir to combine. If the mixture is hard to stir, knead it with your hands until the almond flour and egg mixture is well-incorporated. Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place the chilled dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out until it is very thin. Try for 1/16in to 1/8in thick.
- Bake the full sheet of dough for 10-12 minutes, until firm and golden brown. Carefully remove the sheet pan from the oven.
- Use a pizza cutter or a sharp knife to cut the dough into triangles. Carefully separate the triangles on the sheet pan, and return the sheet pan to the oven. Bake 5-10 minutes more, depending on thickness, until crisp.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g