This delicious Keto Stuffing made with low-carb cornbread and savory sausage will soon become your new favorite holiday tradition. It’s easy to make, and has all the same yummy flavors you expect from a traditional Thanksgiving Stuffing recipe. Make a big batch and serve it to your family and friends –it’s so good, even the non-keto eaters will love it!
Easy Keto Stuffing with Cornbread and Sausage
I’m so excited to bring your this Keto Thanksgiving recipe today on the blog. Take just one bite, and you will be amazed at how delicious this low-carb stuffing tastes!
This keto cornbread stuffing is sure to be a big hit at your next holiday gathering. It’s a recipe that your whole family will enjoy — no need to make both a “regular” and a “low-carb” version. This keto stuffing will fool anybody! It’s just that good.
Ingredients in Keto Cornbread Stuffing
Keto Cornbread Stuffing has all the same yummy flavors as traditional stuffing recipes. The only difference? It calls for keto-friendly cornbread as the star ingredient.
My keto stuffing starts out with a base of delicious keto cornbread. This recipe for keto cornbread is fluffy, moist, and just slightly sweet. It’s really easy to make, too.
I definitely prefer to use keto cornbread as the “bread” element in this stuffing because it will give you the texture you remember from other high-carb stuffings. Find the recipe for keto cornbread here.
Along with the cornbread, you’ll also need:
- Sausage. You can use whatever type of sausage you like — either breakfast sausage or mild Italian sausage will work in this recipe.
- Sage, thyme, salt, and pepper. Or you can substitute Poultry Seasoning if you have that instead!
- Chicken Broth or stock to add moisture
- a couple of Eggs
If you don’t want to use keto cornbread for whatever reason, you can substitute a similar amount of your favorite low-carb bread. Just be sure to let it dry out, or toast it up before using.
How to Make Keto Stuffing with Sausage
The first step in making keto stuffing is to prepare the keto cornbread — or another low-carb bread. Cut the bread into bite-size cubes, and dry it in a 300F oven for about 20 minutes. This will allow the bread to soak up all the other flavors in the stuffing.
The next step is to cook the sausage. I like to use mild Italian sausage in this recipe — but you can use breakfast sausage or spicy sausage if your family prefers it. You can use bulk sausage, or buy links and remove it from the casings. Just be sure to buy a sausage that doesn’t have added sugars.
After that, saute the celery, onions, garlic, and herbs in butter and the drippings left in the pan from browning the sausage. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together chicken broth and a few eggs to help the stuffing bind together.
Add the bread cubes to the pan, pour over the chicken stock mixture, and mix everything together. If you’ve made the stuffing in an oven-proof pan, you can transfer the whole thing into the oven. Otherwise, pour it into a casserole dish and transfer it to the oven.
I bake the stuffing covered for the first half of the cooking time and then uncover it for the second half so that the top can get a little crispy. Serve this keto stuffing with turkey and all the rest of the Thanksgiving side dishes!
Make-Ahead Keto Stuffing
If you want to get a jump on your holiday cooking, you can even make this stuffing ahead of time. Prep it and bake it, and then you can store it well-wrapped in the freezer for a few weeks. To serve, thaw overnight in the fridge, and reheat it in the oven until hot.
If you have leftover, you can store them well-covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and reheat them in the microwave.
What to Serve with Keto Stuffing
Here are some more low-carb Thanksgiving recipes to try this year.
- Loaded Deviled Eggs: These are the perfect appetizers to serve at a Thanksgiving gathering!
- Mashed Cauliflower: There’s nothing better to eat with turkey and gravy!
- Green Bean Casserole: Just as good as the traditional recipe, but this version is low-carb and gluten-free!
- Broccoli Salad: Flavored with cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, and creamy sugar-free dressing!
- Keto Pumpkin Pie: Don’t forget dessert!
- 1 batch Keto "Cornbread"
- 8 oz mild sausage
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 300F. Cut the bread into bite-size pieces, and bake on a large baking sheet for 15-20 minutes, until dry and toasted. In the meantime, cook the sausage and vegetables.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the sausage. Brown the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Remove to a large mixing bowl while you cook the vegetables.
- Add the butter to the pan, and saute the celery, onion, and garlic until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Season with sage, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add the vegetables to the sausage in the mixing bowl. Add the bread cubes to the mixing bowl, as well.
- In a smaller separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and the chicken broth. Pour over the bread and sausage mixture. Toss to combine.
- Pour the stuffing mixture back into the oven-safe skillet, or into a greased casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the top is crispy and browned.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 762mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Carb count will vary with different ingredients and brands. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Save this Thanksgiving Keto Recipe
Pin this post to your Keto Recipes board on Pinterest so that you can come back and find it again later.