Keto Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
This recipe for keto meatballs is incredibly delicious and super easy. It’s quick too — so don’t be afraid of making this keto meatball recipe for a healthy weeknight dinner.
For a low carb dinner, serve these mozzarella stuffed meatballs with zucchini noodles (zoodles) and your favorite keto tomato sauce.
How to make Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
This stuffed meatballs recipe starts out with ground beef. I tend to buy 85% lean ground beef, but you can choose whatever blend of ground beef that your family prefers.
There are no breadcrumbs in this meatball recipe. Instead, we use 1 very finely chopped onion and a splash of heavy cream to keep the meatballs moist.
The meat is combined with the onions, egg, and seasonings and then wrapped around cubes of fresh mozzarella cheese.
Roll the meatball in your hands until it is sealed around the cheese.
I bake the meatballs in the oven — but you could definitely sear them in a pan if you prefer, and then finish them in the oven.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs - Keto and Gluten Free
- 1 pound ground beef 85% lean
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces mozzarella cut into 12 small cubes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes or marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the ground beef, chopped onion, egg, cream, garlic powder, basil, and oregano to a medium mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Separate the meatball mixture into 12 portions and form each piece into a small ball.
- Push a piece of cheese in the center of each ball and carefully fold the edges up around the cheese to seal it in.
- Place the meatballs on a greased, 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and spoon the marinara evenly over each meatball. Sprinkle with parsley and parmesan cheese just before serving.