Creamy Keto Garlic Mushrooms are a naturally low carb side dish that you can serve with your favorite keto main dish recipes. If you need a keto side dish recipe for dinner tonight, try these yummy mushrooms sauteed in a creamy garlic sauce and topped with crispy bacon!
Creamy Keto Garlic Mushrooms with Bacon Recipe
If you’re getting bored with your usual low-carb vegetable recipes, you’ve got to try these Keto Brussels Sprouts topped with a Creamy Garlic Sauce.
These skillet sauteed mushrooms are tender and delicious with the most amazing garlic cream sauce. They make the perfect low-carb appetizer or side dish for your favorite meal. They pair perfectly with steak, pork chops, or oven-roasted chicken.
In this easy recipe, fresh mushrooms sprouts simmer with garlic, bacon, and a blend of Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese to make a dish that’s truly amazing — all in about 30 minutes on the stovetop.
Ingredients in Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
The main ingredient in this recipe, of course, is fresh mushrooms. Mushrooms are a healthy and nutritious vegetable, making them a good choice for the keto diet. Mushrooms have some protein and fiber, as well as a great variety of minerals and vitamins, including copper, potassium, magnesium, zinc, and folate.
1 cup of raw mushrooms contains:
Protein: 3 grams
Carbs: 3 grams
Sugar: 2 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Net Carbs: 2 grams
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Fresh mushrooms. I like to use cremini mushrooms, which are actually just the baby version of portobello mushrooms! If you can’t find cremini mushrooms, don’t worry. Look for mushrooms labeled “baby Bella’s”, or go with the classic button mushrooms – they’ll be equally delicious in this recipe.
- Crisp bacon. Look for sugar-free bacon for the fewest carbs.
- Heavy Cream. Sometimes called whipping cream.
- A blend of cheeses. I like a mixture of Parmesan and Mozzarella in this recipe. But you can use your favorite melting cheese instead. Some good choices include Cheddar, Gruyere, or Provolone.
- Garlic. I definitely prefer to use fresh garlic cloves in the recipes. 2-3 cloves are good, depending on size. In this particular recipe, I think it’s better than garlic powder — and it only takes a little bit more work.
How to Wash Mushrooms
Before we move on, let’s talk about how to wash and prep those mushrooms before you toss them in the pan. You may have heard rumors about never letting mushrooms touch water — but I’m here to tell you that it’s perfectly alright to rinse whole mushrooms.
What I like to do is knock off any loose dirt first, then lightly rinse whole mushrooms under cold water. Thoroughly pat dry them dry with a paper towel before cooking.
The one thing you’ll want to avoid is soaking mushrooms in water for a long time, as they will absorb too much water and won’t brown as well during cooking.
How to Make Mushrooms with a Creamy Garlic Sauce
This keto side dish is actually pretty easy to put together. It’s a one-pan dish that you can make in a large skillet on the stovetop.
Start by cooking the bacon. Place the bacon strips in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove the cooked bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Once it’s cool, you can chop it, and set it aside for later.
Then, in about 2 tablespoons of reserved bacon fat, start to saute the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms for about 3-5 minutes, until they start to brown and become tender. Add the minced garlic, give it a stir, and saute for a minute longer. Be careful not to let the garlic burn!
Next, add the heavy cream, and bring the mixture up to a simmer. Simmer the mushrooms in the cream sauce for about 4 minutes, until it thickens a bit.
Finally, add the cheeses and stir to melt. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add back the bacon, and serve.
How to Store and Reheat Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
If you have leftovers, store in a lidded container in the refrigerator for up to three days. I do not recommend freezing this dish.
Reheat in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave.
Other Keto Vegetable Side Dishes
For more keto vegetable sides dishes, try:
- Creamy Garlic Keto Broccoli with Bacon
- Keto Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Creamy Keto Mashed Cauliflower
- Easy Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Easy Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- 6 strips of bacon
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon for about 5 minutes until crispy. Drain, chop and set aside.
- To the same pan, in about 2 tbsp of reserved bacon fat, saute the mushrooms for about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic, and saute for 1 minute more until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the heavy cream, and simmer for 4-6 minutes (You may need to cover the pan with a lid to keep the cream from reducing too much.)
- Add the cheeses and stir to melt. And salt and pepper to taste. Add back the bacon, and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 530mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g
Save this Recipe
Pin this recipe to your keto recipes board on Pinterest so that you can come back and find it again later!