A fresh serving of keto cauliflower fried rice with chicken is always a delicious and healthy option for dinner, especially when you’re on the keto diet.
Cauliflower is low-carb, gluten-free, low-calorie, and also loaded with vitamins. Some of the key vitamins in cauliflower are vitamins C, K, and B6. Meanwhile, chicken is a great source of protein that will help you stay full and satisfied, and certain cuts of chicken can help with your weight loss goals, particularly chicken breast.
Today’s article will show you how to make keto-friendly cauliflower fried rice with chicken in just a few simple steps.
Ingredients for keto cauliflower fried rice and chicken
Here’s a list of ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe:
- One head of cauliflower – We like to use fresh cauliflower for our cauliflower rice. We also recommend washing your cauliflower before preparing it.
- 1/2 carrot, diced – We recommend dicing your carrots into small pieces, so they’re easier to eat and mix well in the fried rice. Carrots also cook better when you chop them into small pieces.
- One tbsp vegetable oil – You can use olive oil, avocado oil, or even coconut oil in this recipe; the choice is yours.
- One tsp fresh ginger, minced – You can use ginger seasoning if you don’t have fresh ginger on hand.
- Three tbsp soy sauce (use tamari for gluten-free) – To get that flavor we all know and love, you can have your choice between soy sauce, coconut aminos, and liquid aminos.
- One celery stalk, diced – Just like with the carrots, we recommend chopping your celery into small pieces so that it’s easier to eat and cook.
- Two garlic cloves, minced – If you don’t have freshly minced garlic, you can use pre-minced garlic or even garlic powder.
- One cup of cooked chicken – You can cook your chicken however you’d like, but we like to grill our chicken or cook it on the stove. As for what parts of the chicken you should use, we recommend that you stick to the breast or the thighs.
- Two beaten eggs – Eggs add some extra protein and healthy fats to your fried rice, and they also give it a nice yellow color that will make it more flavorful.
- One tbsp sesame oil – This will give your cauliflower rice a delicious nutty flavor
- Four green onions, minced – This helps give your cauliflower fried rice a dash of color and a refreshing onion flavor.
How do I prepare keto cauliflower fried rice with chicken?
- Prepare the cauliflower: Shred cauliflower using the largest side of a grater or by pulsing some cauliflower florets in a food processor; the end product should resemble smallish grains of rice.
- Cook the chicken: Grill chicken or cook it on the stove in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once cooked, set aside and chop into small pieces. Set aside for now.
- Saute the vegetables: Heat the olive oil in a large deep skillet, and saute the onion, carrots, and celery until they soften about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and ginger, and stir one more minute, just until fragrant.
- Cook the cauliflower rice: Add the peas and cauliflower rice, along with the tamari. Stir to combine, then cover with a lid to let the vegetables cook until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking, and feel free to use a splash of water to remove any vegetables that stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Scramble the eggs: Use a spatula to move the cooked fried rice to the edge of the pan, leaving a well in the middle. Add a splash of oil, and then crack two eggs in there. When you see them start to cook, use a spatula to scramble them in the middle until cooked through.
- Add the chicken: Since you have already cooked your chicken, you can add it to the rest of the dish near the end. Add it to the pan and stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Season the rice: Mix the eggs into the rest of the cooked fried rice, and adjust any seasoning to taste, adding more tamari if desired. Serve warm. Stir in the soy sauce and green onions just before serving.
Storing and reheating cauliflower fried rice
Knowing how to store and reheat it can be very helpful if you make large quantities of cauliflower fried rice.
Unfortunately, cauliflower rice tastes best the same day you cook it, but it can get a little soggy upon storage. After a few days, it starts smelling like cauliflower, so try not to make too many leftovers. We recommend storing this cauliflower rice in an airtight container to preserve freshness.
You can reheat cauliflower rice in the microwave by using a paper towel covering the bowl to prevent a mess in the microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
The next section of our article aims to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about keto cauliflower fried rice with chicken.
What can replace rice on the keto diet?
If you want to replace rice on the keto diet, then your best choice would be to cook some cauliflower rice since cauliflower rice is very low in calories and carbohydrates (~25 calories per and 3 grams of net carbs per 100 grams).
However, cauliflower rice doesn’t have a neutral flavor like regular rice, so you’ll need to use seasoning to hide that signature cauliflower flavor.
How can I make cauliflower rice without a food processor?
The most efficient way to prepare cauliflower rice is by using a box grater; it may take longer and require a bit of effort on your part, but the results are identical.
However, if you’re a big fan of cauliflower rice and want to prepare it the fastest way possible, then here’s a top-tier food processor that you should use.
Why is my cauliflower rice soggy?
It will become soggy if you leave cauliflower rice on the heat for too long. Make sure you don’t overcook your cauliflower rice to avoid fogginess.
Another reason your cauliflower rice might be soggy is that you added too much sauce/liquid, so try not to add too much soy sauce or coconut aminos.
Other keto dinner recipes you might enjoy:
If you liked this fried cauliflower rice recipe, you’d love the recipes listed below. We ensure that all of our recipes are quick and easy and that they fit into a low-carb diet. We also have a whole page on keto resources to help you start a keto diet. But here are a few more easy keto dinner recipes you’ll love.
If you liked this recipe, leave us a review, we appreciate all the feedback!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup of cooked chicken
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (use tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 green onions, minced
- Shred cauliflower using the largest side of a grater or by pulsing some cauliflower florets in a food processor; the end product should resemble smallish grains of rice.
- Grill chicken or cook it on the stove in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Set aside and chop into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep skillet, and saute the onion, carrots, and celery until they soften about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and ginger, and stir one more minute, just until fragrant.
- Add the peas and cauliflower rice, along with the tamari.
- Stir to combine, then cover with a lid to let the vegetables cook until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking, and feel free to use a splash of water to remove any vegetables that stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Use a spatula to move the cooked fried rice to the edge of the pan, leaving a well in the middle.
- Add a splash of oil, and then crack two eggs in there.
- When you see them start to cook, use a spatula to scramble them in the middle until cooked through.
- Add the chicken to your pan and stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Adjust any seasoning to taste, adding more tamari if desired.
Serve warm. Stir in the soy sauce and green onions just before serving.