Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable and is used in a ton of keto recipes. It’s such a great low-carb substitute for grains which is why it’s featured in a lot of keto recipes.
Cauliflower Rice Recipe
This Garlic Herb Cauliflower Rice makes a delicious side to almost any meal. Since cauliflower has such a neutral taste, it’s easy to flavor however you’d like. In this recipe, we’re flavoring the cauliflower with garlic, lemon, Italian herbs, and a couple of other seasonings.
It’s so simple but also tasty and healthy. Not to mention, cauliflower is high in fiber which will keep you full.
To make cauliflower rice, you’re going to need a box grater or a food processor. The cauliflower needs to be chopped into small “rice-sized” to achieve the same texture as normal rice.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice (RECIPE)
The ingredients you’re going to need to make Garlic Herb Cauliflower Rice:
- Cauliflower head – This is the main ingredient for this recipe. Depending on how many people you have to feed, you may need more than one cauliflower head.
- Garlic cloves – This is going to add the majority of the flavor to your cauliflower rice.
- Olive oil – Olive oil will help the spices stick to the cauliflower and it will also prevent your cauliflower from sticking to the pan.
- Lemon, juiced – Lemon juice will give your rice a zesty flavor that blends well with the other spices.
- Shallots – this is going to give your rice a milk onion flavor. The onion flavor won’t be too overpowering and will also blend well with the other ingredients.
- Italian herbs – If you do not have Italian herbs, you can mix (or 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp parsley)
- Salt and ground black pepper – You may add salt and pepper to taste after the cauliflower is done cooking.
The instructions to prepare Cauliflower Rice with Garlic Herb:
Grate cauliflower in a box grater or a food processor. Chop out the harder steams and the leaves. Set cauliflower rice aside.
Chop garlic clover into small pieces. Heat a big skillet with one tbsp of olive oil. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
Then chop the shallots and separate the whites from the green part. Add white parts to the skillet.
Add cauliflower rice and stir continuously for 5 minutes or until cauliflower starts to reduce. Add the green part of the shallots and stir for one more minute. By the end, the cauliflower will turn yellow and tender
Add the green part of the shallots and stir for one more minute. By the end, the cauliflower will turn yellow and tender
Add herbs, ground pepper, and salt.
Serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice
Tips for making Garlic Herb Cauliflower Rice:
Wash your cauliflower – To get the best result, you want to make sure that you wash your cauliflower before grating. This will get any pesticides or dirt off to prevent illness and ensure great taste.
Remove all large stems – This was mentioned before but it is very important. To have a rice-like texture, you must remove the stems.
You may use minced garlic- If you don’t have garlic cloves at home, you’re welcome to use repacked minced garlic. Three cloves of garlic are roughly equal to one tablespoon of minced garlic.
You can meal prep cauliflower rice – If you’re someone who likes to meal prep, this is the perfect recipe for you. Cauliflower rice will keep in the fridge for up to a week and will keep in the freezer for up to three months.
Recipes that would pair well with Keto Garlic Herb Cauliflower Rice:
One cup of plain cauliflower rice has roughly 30 calories, 5 grams of carbs, and 2 grams of fiber.
In a keto diet, the goal is to pay attention to net carbs which are total grams of carbs – total grams of fiber. In this recipe, the net carbs are 3 which is why it makes it such a great side dish in a keto diet.
One cup of plain cooked white rice has roughly 240 calories, 54 grams of carbs, and 1 gram of fiber. In a keto diet, cauliflower rice better aligns with the low-carb goal rather than normal white rice.
- 1 cauliflower head
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 shallots
- ½ tbsp Italian herbs (or 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp parsley)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Grate cauliflower in a box grater or a food processor. Chop out the harder steams and the leaves. Set cauliflower rice aside.
- Chop garlic clover into small pieces. Heat a big skillet with a tbsp of olive oil. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Then chop the shallots and separate the whites from the green part. Add white parts to the skillet.
- Add cauliflower rice and stir continuously for 5 minutes or until cauliflower starts to reduce.
- Add the green part of the shallots and stir for one more minute. By the end, the cauliflower will turn yellow and tender.
- Add herbs, ground pepper, and salt.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 631mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 8gSugar: 10gProtein: 7g
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Carb count will vary with different ingredients and brands. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.