Try this recipe for a keto breakfast sandwich made with crispy bacon, egg, and cheesy chaffles! This recipe is low in carbs and high in flavor. It’s so quick and easy to make — perfect for busy mornings.
Keto Breakfast Chaffle Sandwich with Bacon and Egg
Here’s a keto breakfast sandwich recipe that you can actually hold! Savory, cheesy chaffles take the place of bread in this twist on the tradition bacon and egg breakfast sandwich.
Chaffle breakfast sandwiches are a delicious meal that will keep you happy and full for a long time. This recipe really hits the spot — and will definitly replace any cravings you have for fast-food breakfast sandwiches.
Ingredients in Chaffle Breakfast Sandwiches
This recipe for keto breakfast sandwiches made with chaffles requires relatively few ingredients. For the chaffles themselves, you’ll only need two ingredients:
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese
This will make enough chaffle batter for 2 mini chaffles — or the two “buns” of our breakfast sandwich.
Then, for the filling of the sandwich, you can choose between all sorts of keto-friendly ingredients. In this version, I’ve used
- thick-cut bacon
- fried egg
- sliced cheese
But this recipe would also be great with:
- scrambled eggs
- sliced avocado
- sauteed mushroom and peppers
- hot sauce, etc!
How to Make Keto Breakfast Sandwiches with Chaffles
The first thing you’ll need to do to make chaffle breakfast sandwiches is to make your chaffle “bread”. Luckily, making chaffles is so quick and easy. Start to finish, it takes less than 5 minutes.
A keto chaffle is a waffle made from two basic ingredients: egg and shredded cheese. For a chaffle breakfast sandwich, I like to use Cheddar cheese. But you can use any shredded cheese you like.
The only piece of kitchen equipment you need to make these keto chaffles is a waffle maker. I’ve made chaffles successfully in a normal size Belgian waffle maker. And, I’ve made smaller size chaffles in a mini waffle maker.
But, I’ve had the most success using this Dash Mini Waffle Iron to cook chaffles. It is the perfect size to cook them quickly and make them crispy.
Then, after the chaffle “bread” is ready, you can fill your sandwich with any toppings you like. For this recipe, I’ve used crispy thick-cut bacon and a fried egg. But you can switch it up with sausage, ham, scrambled eggs, avocado, hot sauce, etc. It’s really up to you!
For even more information about chaffles, and my original Cheddar Chaffle recipe, click here: Easy Keto Chaffles Recipe (5 Minute Cheddar Waffles!)
Variations on the Chaffle Recipe
You can add all sorts of flavorings to plain chaffle batter to create new types of chaffles.
- Try experimenting with different kinds of cheese. Cheddar is the original flavor, but I also like to use Monterrey Jack, Colby, mozzarella cheese, etc.
- Add spices such as garlic powder, Italian seasoning, Everything But the Bagel seasoning, or assorted herbs.
- For a sweet “McGriddle” type of chaffle, use mild mozzarella cheese, and add 1 tsp or 2 of sugar-free maple syrup to the batter.
- For even lighter chaffles, you can add a teaspoon of coconut flour or a tablespoon of almond flour to the egg mixture. For the ultimate fluffiest chaffles, add 1/4 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
For the chaffles
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
For the sandwich
- 2 strips bacon
- 1 egg
- 1 slice Cheddar or American cheese.
- Preheat the waffle maker according to manufacturer instructions..
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together egg and shredded cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Pour one half of the waffle batter into the waffle maker. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with the second half of the batter.
- In a large pan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy, turning as needed. Remove to drain on paper towels.
- In the same skillet, in 1 tbsp of reserved bacon drippings, fry the egg over medium heat. Cook until desired doneness.
- Assemble the sandwich, and enjoy!
- If you are using a larger size waffle maker, you may be able to cook the whole amount of batter in one waffle. This will vary with the size of your machine.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 658 Total Fat: 51g Saturated Fat: 25g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 21g Cholesterol: 495mg Sodium: 1356mg Carbohydrates: 6g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 43g
Pin this Recipe
Save this recipe to your Keto Recipes board on Pinterest so that you can come back and find it later!