Jerk Chicken is a sweet and smoky-styled chicken that can be cooked in the oven or on the grill. It’s super yummy and is very popular throughout the Caribbean.
This recipe of Jerk Chicken is super easy to make — which makes it the perfect recipe for a family dinner. If you’re pressed for time, you can even prep the chicken and let it marinate in the fridge for a day. That way, all you have to do is throw it in the oven or on the grill when you’re ready.
How to Make Jerk Chicken
Jerk Chicken is also a great keto meal. There are minimal carbs in this recipe while still keeping a great pallet of flavors. The chicken adds a ton of protein to his recipe which helps keeps you full. Not only that, this recipe is fairly low-calorie so it’s perfect if you are trying to lose weight as well.
The ingredients you’ll need for keto jerk chicken:
- Green onion – You’re going to need one bunch of green onions and you’re going to use the whole onion. Not just the stalks or the leaves. These will be thrown into a food processor with the rest of the marinade. Green onions have a large amount of vitamin K in them which helps your blood clot and also helps your bones stay strong.
- Minced garlic – You can either use pre-minced garlic or mince a clove yourself. The choice is up to you. The garlic is going to add such a nice touch to the marinade when it is mixed with sweet, spicy, and savory ingredients.
- Diced jalapeno – This is where the kick-in jerk chicken comes from. The jalapeno’s in the marinade and helps offsets the sweetness provided from the brown sugar.
- Juiced lime – Jerk chicken wouldn’t be jerk chicken without a hint of zesty lime. This lime is crucial for the marinade because it’s going to bridge the jalapeno with brown sugar. If you do not have fresh lime, feel free to use prepackaged lime juice.
- Olive oil – This is the base of the marinade and will also help it stick to the chicken.
- Brown sugar – Brown sugar is where the sweetness of jerk chicken comes into play. There is only 1 tsp of brown sugar which is enough to give it a light sweet flavor but a small enough amount so that it’s low carb.
- Allspice – Allspice is a key ingredient in the marinade and if you don’t have it at home, you can make it with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves, and ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- Thyme – This is going to add a wonderful flavor and also give the chicken that appetizing golden look.
- Cinnamon – Another great spice that helps bring this recipe together.
- Salt & pepper – You can add salt and pepper to taste in the marinade and also after your chicken is cooked.
- Chicken – The base of this recipe and provides all of the protein. This is going to keep you full and keep your blood sugar down.
Keto Jerk Chicken Recipe
In a blender or food processor, blend together green onion, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, olive oil, brown sugar, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, salt & pepper, and 2 tablespoons of water until smooth. Set aside 1/4 cup of the marinade for later.
Pour the remaining mixture into a ziplock plastic bag or bowl with a lid.
Toss in the chicken in the marinade until fully coated.
Allow to marinate in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 2 hours.
Bake in a 400-degree oven or cook on the grill until done.
Brush with reserved marinade and serve.
TIPS FOR MAKING KETO JERK CHICKEN
- Dry the chicken before marinating – If you dry the chicken before tossing it in the marinade, it will allow the chicken to absorb the marinade much better. Your chicken will turn out more flavorful and juicer.
- Slice your chicken into strips – Slicing your chicken into smaller strips before baking will allow the marinade to seep deeper into the chicken. The smaller pieces equate to more surface area for the marinade to sock onto.
- Serve with a lime – Serving your keto jerk chicken with lime adds extra zest to your meal. It is completely optional but does add extra flavor.
Meal Prepping Keto Jerk Chicken:
You’re able to store cooked jerk chicken in your fridge for up to a week. If freezing cooked jerk chicken, it will stay fresh for up to 3 months. You can also let your jerk chicken marinate in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or until your chicken expires.
Marinating in the fridge will result in a stronger taste and flavor.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Jerk Chicken is a sweet and smoky-styled chicken that can be cooked in the oven or on the grill. It's super yummy and is very popular throughout the Caribbean.
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 pieces of chicken, your choice
- Blend green onion, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, olive oil, brown sugar, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, salt & pepper, and 2 tablespoons of water until smooth – set aside ¼ cup
- Pour the remaining mixture into a ziplock plastic bag or bowl with a lid.
- Toss in the chicken until fully coated.
- Allow to marinate in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven or cook on the grill until done.
- Brush with reserved marinade and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 21g
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Carb count will vary with different ingredients and brands. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.