A delicious and low-carb version of pizza can be hard to come by in a Keto diet but this Keto Eggplant Parmesan is to-die-for.
There are only eight ingredients in this recipe and it can be made in under 30 minutes. It’s honestly the perfect easy and low-carb snack!
Since these are keto eggplant pizza bites, they would make such a great appetizer. They’re so easy to snack on before a meal or they would also be delicious as the main course.
You’re going to be surprised by how well eggplant slices serve as a pizza crust. There’s nothing better than being able to enjoy healthy versions of your favorite foods.
Is Eggplant Keto?
Generally speaking, eggplants are a great vegetable. Eggplants are a delicious high-fiber and low-calorie food which makes them great for the Keto diet. They are also very rich in nutrients and come with many potential health benefits:
- high in antioxidants (vit A, vit C) hence may have cancer-fighting benefits,
- potentially reduces the risk of heart disease,
- may promote blood sugar control,
- could help with weight loss.
While you should try to consume more of it, please be aware that for some people eggplants can have an inflammatory effect. That could be because they contain solanine, and some bodies won’t tolerate it just as easily. So if you notice arthritis flares up related to consuming eggplant, avoid it.
How to make Keto Eggplant Parmesan
The ingredients you’re going to need for Keto Eggplant Parmesan
- Eggplants – You’re going to need two large eggplants to make this recipe. If you’re serving a large group of people, you may need more.
- Olive oil – Olive Oil is going to prevent your pizza bites from sticking to the pan.
- Tomato sauce – this is the sauce for your keto parmesan bites. You’re going to mix the tomato sauce with the spices listed below to create a delicious tomato paste.
- Garlic cloves – Garlic is a key ingredient in almost every Italian recipe and these pizza bites are no different. If you don’t have fresh garlic cloves, pre-packaged minced garlic will work just fine.
- Salt and Ground Pepper – You’re going to want to add salt and pepper to the tomato sauce to taste. Also, you may want to add extra salt and pepper to your parmesan bites after they are done cooking. The choice is up to you.
- Mozzarella cheese – You can’t have pizza bites without mozzarella cheese! For a low-calorie version, you can opt for low-fat mozzarella cheese.
- Oregano – You’re going to want to top your Eggplant Parmesan with oregano but you can also add some to the sauce if you’d like.
- Fresh basil – Italian food always tastes better when it’s garnished with fresh basil. It makes your dish look, smell, and taste delicious.
Steps to prepare Keto Eggplant Parmesan
Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
Remove the top and bottom of the eggplant and chop it in ⅓ inch thick slices.
Set eggplant slices in a baking tray with parchment paper and sprinkle salt and ground pepper over them.
Bake eggplant for 20 minutes or until they get dark brown and start to soften.
Add tomato sauce, garlic cloves, oregano, olive oil, and ½ tsp salt to a blender. Blend for 1 minute.
Once the eggplant is softened, remove it from the oven and top them with 1 tbsp of tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake them for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
Remove eggplant Margherita from the oven and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Tips for Keto Eggplant Recipes:
- Cut eggplant in similar sizes: This was stated before, but it’s very important that your eggplant slices are similar to one another. This will ensure that all of your parmesan bites cook evenly.
- You can store in the fridge: You can store your keto eggplant parmesan in the fridge for up to nine days. Simply reheat in the microwave when you’re ready to snack again.
- Watch your cheese closely: Make sure that you’re watching your cheese closely in the oven. It will burn very easily at a high temperature.
- Top with balsamic vinegar: Balsamic vinegar goes great when it’s paired with traditional margarita pizza and this recipe is no exception. If you have balsamic vinegar readily available, feel free to drizzle some on top of your pizza bites.
- 2 eggplants
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
2. Remove the top and bottom of the eggplant and chop it in ⅓ inch thick slices.
3. Set eggplant slices in a baking tray with parchment paper and sprinkle salt and ground pepper over them.
4. Bake eggplant for 20 minutes or until they get dark brown and start to soften.
5. Add tomato sauce, garlic cloves, oregano, olive oil, and ½ tsp salt to a blender. Blend for 1 minute.
6. Once the eggplant is softened, remove it from the oven and top them with 1 tbsp of tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake them for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
7. Remove eggplant Margherita from the oven and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
8. Serve immediately.
Leftovers keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 569mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Carb count will vary with different ingredients and brands. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.