This easy baked Keto Chicken Parmesan is the yummy weeknight dinner of your dreams! The keto diet doesn’t get any better than this crispy coated chicken, smothered in savory tomato sauce and covered in melted mozzarella cheese. Try this recipe tonight — it’s a total crowd pleaser!
Easy Keto Chicken Parmesan Recipe
If you’ve been looking for a restaurant-quality Chicken Parm recipe that you can easily whip up on a weeknight — well, look no further. Keto chicken parmesan is a quick, easy, and delicious recipe to make for dinner.
This low-carb Chicken Parmesan may look impressive, but it’s actually really easy and quick to make. The Parmesan breaded chicken is pan-fried to crispy, golden perfection, and then covered in tomato sauce and melty fresh Mozzarella cheese.
You’re going to love this easy gluten-free Chicken Parmesan recipe! I wouldn’t be surprised if your family requests this dish at least once a week!
Ingredients in Keto Chicken Parmesan
This Keto Chicken Parmesan is super easy! It requires just 7 common ingredients (plus salt and pepper!) and about 30 minutes to make!
And yes, even though this chicken is breaded, it’s completely keto-approved. Instead of high-carb traditional bread crumbs, it uses shredded Parmesan cheese to create a flavorful crust. This particular recipe is made without pork rinds or almond flour — so it’s suitable for nut-free diets as well!
The main ingredients in this easy recipe include:
- Chicken breasts. If your grocery store sells really large chicken breasts like mine does, you can cut them in half lengthwise to create thinner chicken cutlets.
- Shredded Parmesan cheese. For this recipe, I suggest using shredded Parmesan.
- Italian herb blend. Or make your own with a little dried oregano, parsley, and basil.
- Garlic powder
- Tomato sauce. You can make your own keto marinara sauce, or choose a storebought sauce with a minimum of added sugars.
- Fresh Mozzarella. I prefer slices of fresh mozzarella, but you can use shredded too!
A note about the Parmesan cheese: When you are shopping for cheese in the store, look for the longer shredded kind. I usually find it in plastic tubs in the deli section, or in bags next to the other shredded cheeses. I have not had good results using the smaller, “sandy” textured Parmesan cheese that you find unrefrigerated in green-labeled cans.
You could also grate your own Parmesan from a block of cheese — but use a box grater instead of a Microplane style grater.
How to Make Keto Chicken Parmesan
Ready for a great keto dinner? Let’s get started.
To start this recipe, place the chicken breasts down on a cutting board. Then, using a sharp knife, cut each breast in half horizontally — which will give you two thin pieces. The thinner pieces will cook more evenly and more quickly. (This is important since you want the chicken to cook through completely before the Parmesan cheese crust burns.)
Then, season both sides of the chicken cutlets with a sprinkle of garlic powder, herbs, salt, and pepper. Set them aside for a moment while you assemble the breading station.
In one shallow plate, whisk an egg. In another shallow plate, spread out the Parmesan cheese. With one hand or tongs, dip one chicken cutlet into the egg, and let the excess drip off. Then, press the chicken into the Parmesan cheese. You may need to press a bit to get it to stick. Turn the chicken over, and coat the other side. Repeat the breading process with each of the remaining pieces of chicken.
Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. You’ll definitely want to use a non-stick skillet if you have one. Once you place the chicken cutlets down into the hot oil, do not move them around until the Parmesan cheese has had enough time to turn golden and crispy — about 5 minutes. Then, use a spatula or tongs to flip the chicken over gently and cook on the other side — about 5 minutes longer.
Place the crispy chicken cutlets into a large casserole dish. Spoon a few tablespoons of marinara sauce over each piece, and top with a few slices of mozzarella cheese. Bake in a 350F oven for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Dinner’s ready!
Tips for Crispy Keto Breaded Chicken
This recipe is pretty easy, but here are a few tips to make sure you can get great results the first time.
- First, I want to point out that this recipe works best with shredded Parmesan that you can find in the refrigerated section in either bags or plastic tubs at the grocery store. It does not work as well with the sandy-textured Parmesan that you find in the green cans.
- Second, I recommend using a heavy-duty nonstick pan for the best results. Use enough oil to evenly coat the bottom.
- And third, remember not to move the chicken pieces around in the pan until the Parmesan is golden and crispy — otherwise, the crust will slide right off!
For even more tips and pictures about crunchy Parmesan crusted chicken, check out this post: Keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts
More Keto Recipes
If you are wondering what side dishes to pair with keto chicken parm, may I suggest these few recipes:
And, here are a few more keto chicken dinner recipes that you may like!
- Keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts
- Creamy Keto Tuscan Chicken
- Keto Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Keto Chicken Skillet with Creamy Mushroom Bacon Sauce
Keto Chicken Parmesan
Keto Chicken Parmesan
- 1 lb chicken breasts (2 large pieces)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce, or more to taste
- 12 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced into 12 slices
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the chicken breasts out on a cutting board, and cut in half horizontally into two thin pieces. Season both sides with garlic powder, herbs, salt, and pepper; Set aside.
- In a shallow plate, whisk the egg. In another shallow plate, place the Parmesan.
- Dip each chicken cutlet in the egg, and let the excess drip off. Press the cutlet into the Parmesan cheese to coat. Turn and coat the other side. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large NON-STICK skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken cutlets in the pan in a single layer, and DO NOT move them around. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden and crispy.
- Place the chicken into a large casserole dish. Spoon 2 tbsp of tomato sauce onto each piece, and top with 2 oz of mozzerella (3 slices). Bake for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted, and the chicken registers 165F on an instant thermometer.
This recipe works best with shredded Parmesan that you can find in bags or plastic tubs at the grocery store. It does not work as well with the sandy-textured Parmesan that you find in the green cans.
For best results, use a heavy-duty nonstick pan, and be careful not to move the chicken pieces around in the pan until the Parmesan is golden and crispy -- otherwise, the crust will slide right off!
Make your own keto tomato sauce, or look to buy one with as little sugar as possible.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 183mgSodium: 963mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 56g
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Carb count will vary with different ingredients and brands. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Save this Recipe
Save this recipe to your Keto Dinner board on Pinterest so that you can come back and find it later!