These keto green chile chicken enchiladas are creamy, cheesy, and so flavorful! They are made with made with zucchini instead of tortillas, so these keto enchiladas are low-carb and gluten-free.
I love this recipe for keto enchiladas. But what I love even more? My whole family enjoyed them! Even my picky 3-year old, who basically survives on strawberries and toast. If he likes them, you know this recipe is a winner!
Keto Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Swapping the traditional tortillas for zucchini noodles is a great way to enjoy your favorite enchilada recipe and stay on track with a low-carb diet. If you like green chiles, I can guarantee you will be making these enchiladas all the time.
Ingredients in Keto Enchiladas
The keto enchilada recipe starts off with the most delicious chicken filling!
This is a great recipe for using up leftover chicken. The day before I made this recipe, we had roasted chicken thighs for dinner. The next day, I shredded the leftover chicken and used it in this keto chicken enchilada recipe.
Here’s what you need for this recipe:
- Cooked, shredded chicken. I used the meat from 4 large chicken thighs. You could also use leftover chicken breasts or even a rotisserie chicken that you pick up from the grocery.
- Spices, like cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cheese! There is cream cheese in the filling, and shredded cheese on top. I used a blend of Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses.
- Zucchini, sliced thin with a mandolin or a vegetable peeler.
- Green chiles and green chile sauce.
How to Make Keto Enchiladas
To make green chile chicken enchiladas, we first make the chicken filling. If you have leftover cooked chicken, you’re ahead of the game. Otherwise, you can quickly bake some chicken thighs, and shred them. Mix the cooked chicken with softened cream cheese, spices, and green chiles.
Then, prep the zucchini. Using a mandolin or a sharp vegetable peeler, slice the zucchini into thin strips. When you are ready to assemble the enchiladas, lay out 5-6 zucchini slices, overlapping them slightly. Add a small scoop — about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture — on the middle of the slices and spread it out.
Carefully, roll the zucchini slices up around the chicken — just like you would with a tortilla. Transfer the zucchini enchilada to the baking dish, and repeat with the remaining zucchini slices and chicken mixture.
Once you’ve rolled up the enchiladas, top with the green chile sauce and lots of cheese! Then, bake until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Top with chopped tomatoes, salsa, and fresh cilantro.
I hope you LOVE this recipe! It’s:
- Easy to make
- Perfect for leftovers
- & Freezer Friendly
More Keto Chicken Recipes
Feel like chicken for dinner? Be sure to check out our other chicken recipes like Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas, Thai Chicken Salad, or Creamy Mushroom Chicken Skillet with Parmesan and Bacon.
Can Enchiladas Be Frozen?
Bonus points: these keto enchiladas freeze well! I like to make a double batch and freeze one for a rainy day. It’s so easy to stay on track when I know I have an easy keto dinner stashed in the freezer.
To freeze enchiladas, first cool them completely. Leave off any fresh toppings, like tomatoes or cilantro. Then, transfer the cooled enchiladas to a freezer-safe container and store for up to 1 month. (I haven’t frozen these enchiladas any longer than that — so let me know if you do!)
Reheat individual servings in the microwave, or reheat the entire pan in the oven.
Keto Enchilada Casserole Variation
If you are looking for an easier way to enjoy Keto enchiladas — or just don’t have the time to make zucchini roll ups — you could always make this recipe “casserole style” instead.
To make Keto enchilada casserole, you can layer the zucchini slices, the chicken filling, and the green chile sour cream sauce like you would with a lasagna.
First, spread a half cup of the green chile sour cream sauce in the bottom of the 9 x 13 dish. Add a layer of zucchini slices. Then, add a thin layer of the chicken filling and a portion of the green chile sour cream sauce. Repeat these layers with the remaining ingredients. Top with shredded cheese and bake as directed in the original recipe.
Keto chicken enchilada casserole has all the flavors of the original recipe with an easier, quicker method. When I need dinner on the table in a hurry, this is the way I make it.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #greenandketo on Instagram
[amazon_link asins=’B00B0NGYY2,B073HQVQ8G,B000RHVH58,B000VK86KA’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’stearns04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’13f058d2-b2a0-11e8-839c-d78850b21676′]
For the filling
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 3 cup chicken, cooked and shredded
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz. canned green chiles, diced
For the sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup green chile sauce
- 3 large zucchini, sliced with a mandolin or peeler
- 2 cup shredded cheese, jack and cheddar blend
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, add softened cream cheese, shredded chicken, diced green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir together.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together sour cream and green chile sauce.
- Prepare zucchini: Using a vegetable peeler or a mandolin, slice the zucchini into thin strips.
- Lightly grease a 9x 13 pan. Place a large spoonful of the green chile sour cream sauce into the bottom the pan.
- Assemble enchiladas: On a cutting board, lay out 5-6 zucchini slices, overlapping slightly. Add a small scoop (about 1/2 cup) of the chicken mixture. Carefully roll the zucchini up around the chicken, and transfer to the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining zucchini slices and chicken mixture.
- Pour the remainder of the green chile sour cream sauce over the top of the assembled enchiladas.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the enchiladas.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
- Serve with chopped tomatoes and fresh cilantro.
This recipe freezes well.
Also, try the casserole variation described in the post above!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 581mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 21g
The nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. It was calculated by My Fitness Pal with the recommended brands and ingredients. All brands are different, so please verify the macros with your specific ingredients to ensure accuracy.