This recipe for keto baked salmon combines the best that salmon, butter, and garlic have to offer, resulting in a dish that’s as delicious as it is easy to prepare.
Including salmon and other fatty fish in your diet is a great way to ensure you’re getting enough good fats into your diet. Besides, salmon contains 0 carbs, making it an ideal main dish for the keto diet.
In today’s article, we will show you how, with just a handful of ingredients, you can make an amazing dish that tastes as if it comes straight from a restaurant.
You can make this easy and healthy keto recipe in under 15 minutes, so it’s perfect for busy weeknights, quick healthy lunches, and/or meal prepping.
Ingredients for keto baked salmon
Here is a short list of ingredients that you’ll need for this keto baked salmon. See the recipe card for exact quantities of ingredients.
- Salmon filets: The most popular choices are fresh salmon fillets or canned salmon fillets. Fresh salmon fillets are usually more expensive, but they will taste better. If you’re on a budget or short on time, canned salmon fillets work great too!
- Melted butter or olive oil: We recommend these two instead of regular cooking oil simply because they’ll mix a lot better with the natural fats inside the salmon.
- Garlic, minced: This ingredient is a must-have when cooking fish since it helps enhance its flavor and it helps hide some of that characteristic fishy flavor that some may find unpleasant.
- Salt and pepper, to taste: Unlike white fish, salmon is pretty flavorful all by itself, so there’s no need to use any type of seasoning when you cook it; salt and pepper should suffice.
How do I cook keto baked salmon?
By following the instructions below, you should be able to cook up a restaurant-grade salmon dish in 20 minutes or less.
- Prepare the oven: Preheat oven to 425°F (~220°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly coat the foil with nonstick spray or butter.
- Season the salmon: Place the salmon on the foil, drizzle with melted butter, and sprinkle with minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the salmon: Bake the salmon for 10-15 minutes until the salmon is almost completely cooked through at the thickest part. The cooking time will vary based on the thickness of your salmon. Check several minutes early to ensure your salmon does not overcook if your filets are thinner.
Hint: The USDA recommends a minimum internal temperature of 145°F, which you should measure at the thickest part of the fillet. Making sure that your salmon is fully cooked is the best way to avoid food-borne illnesses or food poisoning.
Frequently Asked Questions
The next section of our quite covers some of the most common questions about this recipe.
What fish can you eat on keto?
You can enjoy most fish and shellfish on a keto diet. Fish and other seafood contain healthy fats and many other health benefits that are perfect for a ketogenic diet. For example, salmon contains a lot of Omega-3s, protein, vitamins, and minerals.
What are the benefits of Omega-3s?
Omega-3s support brain function, energy levels, metabolism, and many other bodily functions.
The average person consumes too many Omega-6 fatty acids and not enough Omega-3 fatty acids. Having a good balance between omega-6s consumed and omega-3s consumed will help you feel better during day-to-day life.
What is the best vegetable to serve with salmon?
A lot of vegetables pair perfectly with salmon, so there are plenty of side dishes that you can come up with. Great examples include roasted vegetables (e.g., broccoli, asparagus, or Brussels sprouts), balsamic baby carrots, or cauliflower rice.
What condiment is good with salmon?
Some many sauces and condiments go well on salmon. Great examples include dill sauce, lemon sauce, lemon pepper, regular and spicy mayo, mustard, most cajun sauces, honey, and sweet glazes.
Can you refrigerate salmon after cooking?
You can refrigerate salmon in an airtight container for 2-3 days after cooking. To reheat, you can microwave or bake again. If you want to store salmon for longer, you can freeze cooked salmon for up to 3 months in an airtight container or sealed baggie to avoid freezer burn.
We hope you enjoyed our keto baked salmon recipe! It’s simple, healthy, and will certainly help you with your weight loss plans, especially if you make it a regular part of your meal rotation.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to us. We love hearing from our readers! Happy cooking!
The USDA recommends a minimum internal temperature of 145°F, which should be measured at the thickest part of the fillet. The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Carb count will vary with different ingredients and brands. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 486mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 36g
The USDA recommends a minimum internal temperature of 145°F, which should be measured at the thickest part of the fillet.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Carb count will vary with different ingredients and brands. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.