French toast is one of those breakfasts that bring back childhood memories. It’s so delicious, sweet, and filling! Even though french toast is heavenly, it’s traditionally loaded with sugar and carbs. However, in this recipe, we’ve saved all of the enjoyable flavors but kicked the carbs and sugar.
To make keto french toast, you’re going to need keto bread which can be found at most grocery stores.
This recipe is a bit different than normal french toast recipes in the sense that your bread will be baked with a crumble topping. Almost resulting in a french toast casserole.
Baking your french toast is an easy and effective way to make multiple servings. This recipe takes a total of 45 minutes to prepare and makes eight servings.
How to prepare Keto French Toast:
The ingredients you’re going to need to make Keto French Toast:
- 2 servings keto bread cubed – As stated before, you can find keto bread at most grocery stores but if you would prefer to make it yourself, there are tons of recipes you can look up. Cubing your bread allows for more flavor to be absorbed and for better baking.
- 2 cups almond milk or coconut milk – Whether you use almond milk or coconut milk, make sure that you are using unsweetened. Some kinds of plant-based milk contain a large amount of added sugar which would raise the number of carbs in this recipe. To avoid unnecessary sugar, buy unsweetened coconut or almond milk.
- 1/3 cup granulated sweetener – Monkfruit sweetener is a great low-carb granulated sweetener. If you don’t have that, coconut sugar, brown sugar, or white sugar will work just fine.
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed – Flax seeds act as an egg in baking recipes. It’s going to help all of the ingredients come together and stay intact. Flaxseed also is loaded with fiber and nutrients so it’s great to incorporate into a keto diet.
- 1 tbsp cinnamon – You can’t have french toast without cinnamon! Cinnamon adds so much flavor and it’s also loaded with antioxidants. There’s nothing better than when something tastes good and is good for you!
- 1 tsp vanilla extract – Vanilla extract adds a dash of flavor but mainly acts as a bond for the other flavors. It helps sweet essences come together and taste heavenly.
The ingredients you’re going to need for the crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup almond flour – Almond flour is a gluten-free and low-carb type of flour. Make sure that you are using almond flour and not almond meal. It’s easy to get the two mixed up but the almond meal will not produce the desired texture of french toast.
- 2 tbsp coconut flour – Coconut flour is another gluten-free and low-carb type of flour. Coconut four is very good at soaking up moisture which allows the crumb topping to stick together nicely.
- 3 tbsp granulated sweetener – As stated above, you can use monk fruit, coconut sugar, brown sugar, white sugar, etc. This is up to you and what you have easy access to.
- 1/2 cup pecans can use any nuts – Pecans go great with cinnamon and sugar but if you do not have pecans feel free to use a different type of nut.
- 1/4 cup butter – Butter is necessary to hold the crumb topping together.
Steps for how to prepare Keto French Toast:
Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Grease a baking dish. Start by cubing your bread into equal-sized pieces.
In a large mixing bowl combine all of your french toast ingredients and whisk to combine. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes or so to thicken.
Prepare the crumb topping by mixing all of the crumb topping ingredients, until a thick and crumbly texture remains.
Cover the previously greased baking dish with the cubed bread and pour the milk mixture over the top. Let sit for 20 minutes, for the bread to start soaking it up. Then sprinkle the crumb topping over it and bake it for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown on top.
Remove from the oven and allow it to cool in the dish for 10 minutes, before serving.
Serve warm with some chopped berries and a dollop of cream. Enjoy!
Tips for making Keto French Toast:
Let your french toast cool – Almond flour is very crumbly and can easily fall apart. If you do not let your french toast cool for long enough, it may crumble more than you’d like.
Top with maple syrup – Sugar-free maple syrup is a great low-calorie and low-sugar topping. It tastes great on recipes like this one.
Store in the refrigerator – You can store your keto french toast in the refrigerator for up to four days. Simply reheat in the microwave when you’re ready to serve. Since this recipe does keep for up to 4 days, it’s great to meal prep and eat throughout the week.
Other keto recipes you might enjoy:
There are a few different ways that you can easily spice up this recipe…
Add blueberries – Adding frozen or fresh blueberries will turn this recipe into a blueberry french toast crumble. Simply add frozen blueberries into the batter before baking.
Add protein powder – Adding vanilla or unflavored protein powder will add a serving of protein to this recipe. Protein is a great macronutrient that will help keep you full. You can add a scoop of protein powder with the crumble ingredients. If you do decide to add protein powder, be prepared to add an extra splash of milk.
Chocolate Chips – Everyone loves chocolate chips in their pancakes and this recipe is very similar. If you would like chocolate chips, simply sprinkle them on top of your french toast before baking.
Ingredients for the french toast:
- 2 servings keto bread cubed
- 2 cups almond milk or coconut milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sweetener
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for the crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sweetener
- 1/2 cup pecans can use any nuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Grease a baking dish. Start by cubing your bread into equal-sized pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of your ingredients and whisk to combine. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes or so to thicken.
- Prepare the crumb topping by mixing all the ingredients, until a thick and crumbly texture remains.
- Cover the previously greased baking dish with the cubed bread and pour the milk mixture over the top.
- Let sit for 20 minutes, for the bread to start soaking it up. Then sprinkle the crumb topping over it and bake it for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool in the dish for 10 minutes, before serving.
- Serve warm with some chopped berries and a dollop of cream. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Carb count will vary with different ingredients and brands. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.