To get that smoky barbeque taste, you don’t always have to use meat. These keto BBQ mushrooms are super easy to throw on the grill as a side dish or even as an entre.
Are mushrooms keto?
If you’re a vegan or a vegetarian, this recipe is the perfect way to enjoy a barbeque meal without meat. Mushrooms are packed with fiber and are also one of the only plant-based sources of vitamin D.
You can definitely still enjoy this meal if you’re not vegan or vegetarian. It’s a simple and easy recipe that fits into a normal keto diet as well.
These mushrooms are prepared and cooked like kabobs, so they are extremely easy to assemble. You can either use wooden skewers or metal skewers, the choice is yours.
How do you make Keto Grilled BBQ Mushrooms?
The ingredients you’ll need for grilled BBQ mushrooms:
- 18 oz white or button mushrooms – As stated before, mushrooms are a great source of fiber and vitamin D. They’re even considered a superfood which makes them a great addition to any diet. While or button mushrooms work best for this recipe because they are large and will fit easily on the skewers.
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil – This is needed for the base of the BBQ sauce. It will help the sauce stick to the mushrooms while they grill.
- ½ tbsp soy sauce – Soy sauce may be a surprising ingredient in BBQ sauce, but it gives it a slightly salty taste.
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar – A traditional balsamic will offer a mellow tartness to the BBQ sauce.
- ½ tsp steak seasoning – This seasoning is what gives the BBQ sauce the real BBQ taste. If you don’t have steak sauce at home, you can combine smoked paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, dried thyme leaves, and mustard powder to make your own.
- 1 tsp smoked paprika – This is normally found in steak seasoning, but for more flavor, this recipe calls for one extra tsp.
- ½ tsp salt – You can salt the sauce to taste, and you can also salt the mushrooms to taste after they are done grilling.
- 4-6 BBQ skewers – Metal skewers or wooden skewers would work just fine for this recipe. Depending on how large your mushrooms are and how many people you are serving, you might need more or fewer skewers.
The instructions to prepare keto BBQ mushrooms:
Wash the mushrooms, and once washed, chop off the mushrooms stem if it’s too long.
Thread the mushrooms on the skewers, putting 4 on each and leaving 3-inch handles at the ends. If you have smaller mushrooms, you may be able to fit more than four, and if you have larger mushrooms, you might not be able to fit all four on the skewer.
Whisk all the other ingredients in a small bowl until a sauce is created. Brush the mushrooms with the sauce until they are well coated for both sides.
Grill the mushrooms for 10 minutes on each side or until fork-tender.
Serve immediately and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Tips for making Keto BBQ Mushrooms:
Dry your mushrooms: Make sure that your mushrooms are completely dry before adding the sauce. This will allow the mushrooms to absorb as much of the flavor as possible.
Pierce your mushrooms down the middle: When sliding your skewer through the mushroom, make sure that the skewer is in the middle of the mushroom. This will help prevent the mushroom from falling off on the grill.
Grill at medium heat and covered: Many other grilled mushroom recipes require that the grill be set at medium heat and the cover stay closed to prevent burning. This will also allow the mushrooms to cook more thoroughly.
BBQ Sauce Substitutes:
Soy Sauce: You can substitute soy sauce for Worcestershire sauce. For every one tablespoon of soy sauce, you can use one tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
Balsamic Vinegar: You can use a mixture of apple cider vinegar and brown sugar to achieve the same result. Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with ½ teaspoon of brown sugar for every tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
Steak Seasoning: As stated before, if you don’t have steak sauce at home, you can combine 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 2 tbsp salt, 2 tbsp pepper, 2 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tsp cumin, 2 tsp dried thyme leaves, and 1 tsp mustard powder to make your own.
Other keto recipes you might enjoy:
- 18 oz white or button mushrooms
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp steak seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 4-6 BBQ skewers
- Once washed, chop off the mushrooms’ steam if is too long.
- Thread the mushrooms on the skewers, putting 4 on each and leaving 3-inch handles at the ends.
- Whisk all the other ingredients in a small bowl until a sauce is formed. Brush the mushrooms with the sauce until they are well coated for both sides.
- Grill them for 10 minutes on each side or until fork-tender.
- Optional: garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 844mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 15g
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Carb count will vary with different ingredients and brands. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.