This delicious low-carb chocolate mug cake is one of the quickest keto desserts you can make. And get this: it only takes one bowl and less than 60 seconds in the microwave!
Keep reading to see how easy it is to make this single-serving chocolate keto mug cake!
Chocolate Keto Mug Cake
When the chocolate craving strikes – I love having a quick recipe like this in my back pocket. If you are looking for a chocolate keto dessert in a hurry, you are going to love this keto mug cake recipe.
Having a healthy mug cake recipe on hand has been a lifesaver for me — especially when it comes to sticking to a keto diet. And, because this recipe makes just a single serving, it’s perfect for portion control.
Ingredients in Keto Mug Cake
It’s really easy to make a delicious keto mug cake. The great thing about this cake is that it uses common keto ingredients. And, keto mug cake doesn’t require any special equipment — so as long as you have a mug, a whisk, and a microwave, you’re ready to go.
If you’ve been keto for a little while, you probably have everything you need in your pantry already. Along with grocery staples like butter, salt, baking powder, and an egg, you’ll also need:
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- cocoa powder
Almond Flour is a common keto substitute for traditional wheat flour. Look for a blanched almond flour with a super-fine texture for best results. I like Bob’s Red Mill or Anthony’s brand almond flour.
Coconut Flour is another useful low-carb baking ingredients. Coconut flour is made from ground and dried coconut meat. Because it’s so high fiber and absorbent, a little bit of coconut flour goes a long way
Sweetener. I tend to stick with erythritol based sweetener like Swerve. But you may want to experiment with other sweeteners like xylitol or allulose. (Remember that allulose is less sweet than erythritol, so you’ll need to use more than the 2 tbsp called for in this recipe. )
Cocoa Powder. In order to make delicious chocolate mug cake, you have to start with delicious cocoa powder. You’ll want to use Dutch-processed cocoa powder in this recipe. (Dutch cocoa powder is a cocoa powder that’s been alkalized to make it less acidic and give it a mellower flavor.)
How to Make Keto Mug Cake
When I say that this is a quick and easy recipe — I’m not kidding. Once you have the ingredients gathered, the whole recipe takes 2 minutes from start to finish — and that includes cook time!
All you need to do is stir all of the ingredients together in a large mug and microwave it for less than a minute. And ta-da! You have your healthy chocolate mug cake.
I start out by melting 2 tablespoons of butter in a large mug. To that, I add an egg and a small splash of vanilla extract and stir well with a fork or a small whisk. I spend a little bit of time mixing up the egg, making sure to break up the egg white.
Then, I add the rest of the dry ingredients — almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, sweetener, salt, and baking powder — and stir well to combine.
If I’m feeling fancy, I might add a dollop of peanut butter or a tablespoon of chocolate chips on top of the batter before I pop it in the microwave.
I microwave on high for about 55 seconds. You’ll see the batter rise up in the mug. When the top looks set — but not too dry! — you’ll know the mug cake is done. You can also test the cake by touching the top. It should be firm and a little springy.
Tips for Moist Mug Cakes
Here are some tips to make sure you end up with a warm, moist, and fluffy keto mug cake every time.
- Start with the right mug. I like to use a large, wide mug shape with straight sides. Tall, skinny, or super curvy mugs can make it difficult for the cake to cook evenly in the microwave.
- Mix the ingredients well. I mix all of the ingredients in the same mug that I cook in — less dirty dishes for me to clean! But, because of this, I take extra care to make sure that all of the ingredients are incorporated fully. Make sure to break up that egg white so you don’t get little pockets of cooked egg white in your cake. (You can also mix all the ingredients in a separate mixing bowl and then pour it into a mug to cook it – your choice!)
- Don’t overcook the cake. Every microwave is different, so you may need to make this mug cake a couple of times to find the perfect cook time for you. I find that 55-60 seconds is a good starting point. You can check the cake by carefully touching the top. The batter should be set and slightly firm. If the batter is still wet, you can keep cooking in 10-15 second bursts.
Variations on Keto Mug Cake
This chocolate mug cake is great as is, but here are some other flavors you might like to try!
- Mint chocolate chip: Instead of the vanilla extract, add ¼ tsp of peppermint extract to the batter.
- Chocolate mocha: Add 1 tsp of instant espresso powder with rest of the dry ingredients.
- Dairy-free: If you’d like to make this cake dairy-free, you can substitute coconut oil for the melted butter.
- Mexican Chocolate: Add ¼ tsp cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne pepper to the cocoa mixture.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter: Add a dollop of keto-approved peanut butter to the center of the batter before cooking.
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/8 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons Swerve (erythritol)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free chocolate chips (optional)
- In a large coffee, add melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, cocoa powder, baking powder ,and salt. Mix well.
- Microwave on high for 55-60 seconds. Be sure not to overcook, or the cake will be dry.
- Optionally, top with sugar-free chocolate chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397 Total Fat: 37g Saturated Fat: 18g Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 1g Protein: 12g
More Keto Chocolate Recipes
Storebought Keto Desserts
And, hey, if you just want to buy a keto dessert, check out 11+ Best Keto Desserts to Buy.
Pin This Post
Don’t forget to save this to your Keto Desserts board on Pinterest.
And if you need more keto recipe ideas, be sure to follow me on Pinterest.