Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, this keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast is an easy low-carb recipe that your whole family will devour.
Plus, it’s perfect for busy weeknights! You can get dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes with this delicious, low-carb parmesan chicken recipe.
Easy Keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken Recipe
This crispy crunchy Parmesan Crusted Chicken is a total gem of a recipe. It calls for just a handful of common ingredients, and 10 minutes of cook time. Plus, it’s keto, low-carb, and just happens to be gluten-free.
In this recipe, shredded parmesan melts, turns golden, and transforms into an ultra-crispy crust for chicken breast.
You can serve this crispy chicken on top of a salad, on top of zucchini noodles, or alongside some roasted veggies. Or, go the extra step and top it with a spoonful of tomato sauce and a few slices of fresh mozzarella for a keto-twist on Chicken Parmesan.
Ingredients in Parmesan Chicken
Yes, even though this chicken is breaded, it’s completely keto-approved. Instead of high-carb traditional bread crumbs, it uses shredded Parmesan cheese to create a flavorful crust.
The main ingredients in this easy recipe include:
- Chicken breasts
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Italian herbs
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
When you are shopping for Parmesan in the store, look for the longer shredded kind that you can see in the picture below. I usually find it in plastic tubs in the deli section, or in bags next to the other shredded cheeses. I have not had good results using the smaller, “sandy” textured Parmesan cheese that you find unrefrigerated in green-labeled cans.
You could also grate your own from a block of cheese — but use a box grater and try to match the texture that you see in the pictures (not like a fluffy pile you would get from using a Microplane-style grater.)
How to Make Parmesan Crusted Chicken
As far as chicken dinner recipes go, this one is easy and pretty fast! These chicken breast cutlets should only need 10 minutes in the pan to reach crispy, golden-brown perfection.
To start this recipe, place the chicken breasts down on a cutting board. Then, using a sharp knife, cut each breast in half horizontally — which will give you two thin pieces. The thinner pieces will cook more evenly and more quickly. This is important since you want the chicken to cook through completely before the Parmesan cheese crust burns.
If the chicken pieces are still an uneven thickness, you can also pound them out between pieces of plastic wrap to make them even.
Then, season both sides of the chicken cutlets with a sprinkle of garlic powder, herbs, salt, and pepper. Set them aside for a moment while you assemble the breading station.
In one shallow plate, whisk an egg. In another shallow plate, spread out the Parmesan cheese. With one hand or tongs, dip one chicken cutlet into the egg, and let the excess drip off. Then, press the chicken into the Parmesan cheese. You may need to press a bit to get it to stick. Turn the chicken over, and coat the other side.
Repeat the breading process with each of the remaining pieces of chicken.
Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. You’ll definitely want to use a non-stick skillet if you have one. And, use enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. It’s okay if you need to use a little bit more than I call for in this recipe — it’s more important that the bottom of the skillet is coated to prevent the chicken from sticking.
Important: Once you place the chicken cutlets down into the hot oil, do not move them around until the Parmesan cheese has had enough time to turn golden and crispy — about 5 minutes. Then, use a spatula or tongs to flip the chicken over gently and cook on the other side — about 5 minutes longer.
Tips for the Best Parmesan Crusted Chicken
This recipe is pretty easy, but here are a few tips to make sure you can get great results the first time.
- First, you should know that this recipe works best with shredded Parmesan that you can find in the refrigerated section in either bags or plastic tubs at the grocery store. It does not work as well with the sandy-textured Parmesan that you find in the green cans.
- Second, for best results, use a heavy-duty nonstick pan with enough oil to evenly coat the bottom.
- And third, be careful not to move the chicken pieces around in the pan until the Parmesan is golden and crispy — otherwise, the crust will slide right off!
Other Low Carb Chicken Recipes
Here are a few more keto chicken dinner recipes that you may like!
- Creamy Keto Tuscan Chicken
- Keto Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Keto Chicken Skillet with Creamy Mushroom Bacon Sauce
- 1 lb chicken breasts (2 large pieces)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Place the chicken breasts out on a cutting board, and cut in half horizontally into two thin pieces. Season both sides with garlic powder, herbs, salt, and pepper; Set aside.
- In a shallow plate, whisk the egg. In another shallow plate, place the Parmesan.
- Dip each chicken cutlet in the egg, and let the excess drip off. Press the cutlet into the Parmesan cheese to coat. Turn and coat the other side. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large NON-STICK skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken cutlets in the pan in a single layer, and DO NOT move them around. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side without flipping, until golden and crispy.
This recipe works best with shredded Parmesan that you can find in bags or plastic tubs at the grocery store. It does not work as well with the sandy-textured Parmesan that you find in the green cans.
For best results, use a heavy-duty nonstick pan, and be careful not to move the chicken pieces around in the pan until the Parmesan is golden and crispy -- otherwise, the crust will slide right off!
Save this Recipe
Pin this recipe to your Keto Dinner Recipes board on Pinterest so that you can come back and find it later.