This delicious dish for keto creamed spinach is perfect when served alongside parmesan chicken or another protein of choice.
It’s creamy, healthy, and the perfect low-carb comfort food. Read on to get the full recipe.
You only need a few basic ingredients and less than 10 minutes to make this creamed spinach. It’s quick and easy to make large portions, which is great for large parties or big family dinners.
This article gives you an original recipe for making keto creamed spinach. But first, let’s find out why you will fall in love with this recipe. Then you can find out more information about creamed spinach.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe for Keto Creamed Spinach
Here are why keto creamed spinach is so appealing for people on keto:
- Eating healthy can be stressful, but easy recipes like this one make it so much easier. This creamy side dish can be made in under 10 minutes, so it’s a fantastic last-minute option for busy weeknights.
- In addition to a short preparation time, this recipe also keeps well. You can store this keto creamed spinach in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days and freeze it for up to 3 months. Reheat it in the microwave or stovetop for an even quicker side dish.
- Some people think that healthy eating is bland and boring but this recipe is delicious.
In the next section, get the ingredients for this keto creamed spinach recipe.
Ingredients for Keto Creamed Spinach
Here’s what you need to make low-carb keto creamed spinach:
- 2 tbsp. butter – You can use salted or unsalted butter. Feel free to substitute it with another source of fat like olive oil or coconut oil.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced – Garlic adds a ton of flavor, and you can also use pre-minced garlic.
- 10 oz. baby spinach, washed – Spinach cooks down a lot, which is why you need such a large quantity of roughly 9-10 cups. Compared to large spinach leaves, baby spinach leaves cook and taste.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream – Heavy cream is low-carb, cooks well, and helps combine all cheeses together.
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated – We recommend using fresh parmesan cheese instead of the pre-grated parmesan cheese used to top pizza. Real parmesan cheese cooks much better in this recipe.
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded – You can use any kind of mozzarella cheese you’d like. For more protein and less fat, you can use low-fat mozzarella cheese.
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper – Feel free to add salt and pepper while cooking or before serving.
- Pinch nutmeg (optional)
In the next section, get the step-by-step instructions for preparing this keto creamed spinach.
How to Make Creamed Spinach (Instructions)
The following easy steps teach you how to quickly prepare keto creamed spinach:
- Step 1: Heat butter in a large sautéing pan or skillet over medium heat. Then add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Step 2: Add spinach, stir it through, then cover the pan and let it cook for about 4 minutes to allow the spinach to wilt.
- Step 3: Add the heavy cream, cheeses, salt, pepper, and nutmeg if you want it. Then continue stirring until the cheese melts. Let the dish simmer for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens.
Pro tip: Add sliced cherry tomatoes for more flavor since they pair great with keto creamed spinach. Other excellent additions are mushrooms, bell peppers, red onions, broccoli, and cauliflower.
In the next section, discover more keto recipes that focus on spinach.
More Keto Recipes with Spinach
If you’re a fan of spinach, check out these fantastic recipes:
- Keto Spinach Dip Recipes
- Keto Spinach Lasagna Recipes
- Keto Spinach Salad Recipes
- Keto Spinach Quiche Recipes
- Keto Creamed Spinach Recipes
In the next section, learn more about keto creamed spinach.
This section gives you simple answers to common questions about creamed spinach.
Is spinach good for ketosis?
Yes. Spinach makes up a large part of the keto diet because it’s low-carb and healthy. And this keto creamed spinach makes no exception since it includes only keto ingredients.
Is cream spinach good for you?
Yes. Cream spinach is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, and calcium. It’s also low in calories and fat. However, cream spinach contains a high amount of sodium. If you are on a salt-restricted diet, you may want to avoid cream spinach or limit your intake.
Who should not eat spinach?
Spinach is high in oxalates, which can increase the risk of kidney stones. So people with kidney problems or oxalate stones should avoid eating spinach. Also, pregnant women should avoid eating spinach due to its high vitamin A content.
How many carbs are in 1 cup of spinach?
In 1 cup of spinach, there are roughly 1.1 g carbs, which is an insignificant number of carbs for the keto diet. And this recipe for keto creamed spinach calls for 10 oz. spinach, which is roughly 9-10 cups and 9-10 g carbs – still a small number of carbs for keto.
Can I freeze leftover keto creamed spinach?
Yes, keto creamed spinach is definitely freezer friendly. You can store this meal in an airtight container and freeze it for up to 3 months.
It’s a good idea to allow your keto creamed spinach to cool completely before freezing, to prevent excess moisture and freezer burn. And you might have to stir when reheating due to separation.
How do you thicken creamed spinach?
Generally, you can thicken creamed spinach by adding 2 tbsp. butter combined with 2 tbsp. flour. But in the current recipe for keto creamed spinach, you can add more cheese for thickening since flour would exceed the number of carbs permitted by the keto diet.
What main course goes with creamed spinach?
Creamed spinach is a fabulous side dish for steak. But it goes well with any meat, fish, or poultry.
If you’re on the keto diet, we recommend serving creamed spinach with a protein-rich dish for a healthy meal, such as keto parmesan chicken or keto meatballs. You can also top creamed spinach with grilled shrimp or make it thicker to turn it into a dip for homemade low-carb chips.
The last and final section summarizes this entire article on keto creamed spinach.
If you’re looking for a delicious and keto-friendly side dish, look no further than this keto creamed spinach recipe. Packed with flavor, this dish is sure to be a hit at your next dinner party or family gathering.
Heat butter in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add heavy cream, cheeses, salt, pepper, and nutmeg (optional). Continue stirring until the cheese melts. Let simmer for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens. The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Carb count will vary with different ingredients and brands. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Keto Creamed Spinach
Add spinach. Stir through, then cover the pan and let cook for about 4 minutes to allow the spinach to wilt.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 412mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
Heat butter in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Add heavy cream, cheeses, salt, pepper, and nutmeg (optional). Continue stirring until the cheese melts. Let simmer for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Carb count will vary with different ingredients and brands. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.